University of Wisconsin - Superior
Superior, WI 54880
Office: 3032 Swenson Hall
Office Phone: (715) 394 8275
I was born and raised in Spencer, NY–a small town about 15 miles south of Ithaca. After high school I attended University of Rochester where I played Rugby and majored in Mathematics.
In 2015 I married Claire Mierzwa, and we’ve been adventuring together ever since.
In 2017 I graduated from Syracuse University as a Dr. of math. Currently I am an assistant professor of Mathematics at the
University of Wisconsin – Superior. For more information see my CV or contact me at jstangle at uwsuper dot edu.
Some of my favorite things are cycling (mostly all mountain currently), music (mostly jazz currently), and delicious food (mostly vegetables always).
- Homological algebra
- Commutative Algebra
- Representation theory of orders over Cohen-Macaulay Rings
- Defect Categories - Especially the Singularity Category
- Ph.D., Mathematics, Syracuse University, May 2017
- M.S, Mathematics, Syracuse University, May 2013
- B.S., Mathematics, University of Rochester, June 2010
- Syracuse University All-Doctoral Prize, May 2017
- Kibbey Prize, SU Mathematics Department, May 2017
Math and UWS LinksHere are some links you may find interesting; I think so because I do:
Academic Resources for students at UW-Superior
Student Mental Health Services at UW-Superior
Mathematically Gifted and Black
MATH3MA (A really nice blog aimed at teaching the reader about higher level mathematics.)
Fun Links!We can't be all business all the time, here are some links that you can feel free to check out to distract yourself!
Charlie Parr: Live at the Historic Paramount Theater
The state of the COGGS multi-use trails in Duluth:
COGGS Trail Feed